Using an education-first approach, the Queensland Government, through the National Retail Association and Boomerang Alliance, will work with organisations to ensure they understand the ban and their obligations.
From 1 September 2021, a business may face a maximum fine of 50 penalty units for each of the following if they:
- supply a banned single-use plastic item;
- provide false or misleading information to another person about a banned plastic item;
- provide false or misleading information to another person about whether or not a plastic item is compostable;
- do not provide clear and legible written information about whether a plastic item is compostable (e.g. labelling, invoice, order information);
- do not comply with a notice under the Waste Reduction and Recycling (Plastic Items) Amendment Act 2021.
Any person can now report a suspected breach via the online reporting form below or the hotline (1800 844 946). Each report will be investigated thoroughly. Random spot checks will also be undertaken.